
Mom and I went to the Fort
Snelling National
Cemetery here in St. Paul. We had heard that the green wreaths placed on the graves at Christmas time provided an inspiring picture, and
truly they did. Fort
Snelling was originally established at the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers to protect against Indian disturbances. It later became a training fort for the Minnesota soldiers serving in the Civil War. The
cemetery was originally established for a burial place for soldiers that died at the fort. It was later dedicated and reserved as a national
cemetery for veterans who served in the military.

We saw grave markers for veterans who had served in all of the major conflicts the country has been in, but the overwhelming numbers were from WWII. The people buried here were not
necessarily KIA, but were veterans of the conflicts. It was amazing to see marker after marker for blocks and blocks of WWII veterans that had passed away in the last ten years or so.

Tom Brokaw called them "The Greatest Generation" and not to diminish other conflicts, I feel that the name is aptly applied. Maybe its because I just finished watching all episodes of Band of Brothers, that this is on my mind, but the sacrifice of that generation which touched virtually every citizen is beyond comprehension to me. We have been the beneficiaries of that sacrifice for many years now. God bless them all.
1 comment:
This was such an reverent place to me. AS far as the eye could see row upon row of markers. The ones that have wreaths died fighting from what I understand. I am glad we went and experienced this feeling of gratitude for so many that gave their lives so I could have the freedom and live that I do. It was totally awesome.
Post a Comment