Its funny how you have those once in a lifetime experiences from time to time that can never be replicated no matter how hard you try. I'm not talking about anything hugely earth-shattering or anything, just various expericences that the particular circumstances surrounding the event are not repeatable and yet for some reason they remain etched in our memory.
So despite it being conference weekend and all, I didn't want to fuss with all the stuff to make Postum Cake on my own, so I settled on buying a raspberry danish at the store when I did my other weekly shopping. I couldn't help but remember another raspberry danish from so long ago that we bought and took with us to a soccer tournament that Michael was playing at Bear Creek park in North West Houston. I guess we didn't have time to eat it before the game so off we went to watch Michael play. By the time things wrapped up we were starving, so when we got back to the van we opened up the danish which had been warmed to perfection by the sun heating the car and we devoured it and it was sooooo good. Well needless to say, my danish wasn't as good as I remember the Bear Creek danish despite gently warming it in the microwave. We always laugh about this place or that place not being as good as it used to be, and its probably just more the particular event we remember. So Carpe Diem, you never know when the next chance will come along.
Things here in MN are okay. It is quiet and lonely, but all in all it seems like a nice place to live and the work is new and challenging, so I am looking forward to Mom getting up here and getting our housing deal squared away and behind us.
I enjoyed conference a lot. The talks seemed to be full of things that I needed to hear at this particular time. I hope you all were able to listen as well.
Maybe I will find a cheap camera and get some pictures of fall up here. The leaves are turning and if it quits raining it will be very pretty.
Love
Dad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Speaking of vikings in America have you heard about the Kensington Runestone found in Minnesota? Discovery channel did a number on it and it is pretty amazing. Appears america was "discovered" before Chris Colombus discovered it. Pretty cool stuff.
It's funny to hear you retell that story - I don't remember that particular memory of Michael's soccer, but I do remember going to some of his games. It's funny how some small things can bring back a flood of memories.
I remember that time very well. I, too think of that time when I eat a danish.
Post a Comment