

The shop in MN is pretty compact and it takes a bit of moving around just to cut a 6' board, so the answer to that is to make small projects. Ever since I had a mini lathe, I've always wanted to turn a chess set. Sort of wierd considering I don't play the game and barely know how the pieces move, but it is still something I thought would be cool to do, but never had the time or patience.

So for Father's day, mom got me a template duplicater for the lathe, and a template set for a chess set, so I have begun at last to fullfill my quest. Above are my first 2 pawns turned out of maple. The other side will be out of walnut -- sort of traditional, but a good start. I know you are thinking the pawns aren't the same size, but actually they cut off at the round base and the square block goes in the trash. After that, they will be the same size. It was really fun to do, and good for me, it doesn't require too much talent. I suppose you are wondering how I will turn a horses head on a lathe for the Knight. You will just have to stay tuned for that part -- I don't want to give everything away in one posting. So get your chess for dummies books out and learn the game and get your orders in for your custom chess sets.
3 comments:
Oh that's super cool Dad! Good luck with that! You and Brent will have to play each other or something.
That is awesome! I can't wait to see all the pieces. You are amazing!
That is really neat. Can't wait to see the rest!
Post a Comment