
I put these on in reverse order, so here is our fence of many colors all put up after a couple of Saturdays of hard work. Because the insurance didn't cover much of the fence damage and the high price of materials, we decided to save as many old materials as possible and do the work ourselves. I hope over time, that everything will age uniformly and that the slats will all turn the same shade of grey. Mom and I worked on it together and it was really fun to do something like that as a team. Usually we just kind of do our own projects at opposite ends of the house/yard. Mom is a tough worker, she dug post holes, toted sacrete and boards, pulled all the old nails out of the old slats, ran the nail gun when I couldn't hold it up any more, and fixed great Mac & Cheese for lunch. I'd still be trying to decide where to begin if it wasn't for her

You can see that we used a framing nailer. I was contemplating purchasing one, but decided to rent -- which worked out to be the financially smart thing to do. If any of you have any sort of framing projects to do, rent a pasload or compatible nailer and compressor, and I will UPS you the 3" nails as we have a ton of them left over. We used 2" on the slats and used quite a few of those. The nails are pretty expensive by comparison, but the savings in effort is wonderful. (Yes my pants were falling down -- thank heavens for suspenders)

We actually took 3 more sections down than what this picture shows, 67 feet in all to rebuild. We also did half of the fence between us and Kathy at the same time which was damaged in Rita. Remaining to do is straighten up the fence between us and our neighbor on the west, replace two posts between us and Kathy, and replace the main gate post. Shouldn't be too bad except for getting the broken gate post out, which has to happen, because the new post has to go in the exact same spot.
Things here are going well. Work is still a bit scary and probably will remain so for a good long time to come. Two weeks ago 4 folks were let go. This last week they let 3 individuals go, 2 of which were members of the Plant Management Team (former Huntsman employees too). I guess from that, no one is exempt. My turn could come at any day, which is kind of a crumy atmosphere to be working in, but I will just keep trying to do my job until I'm told otherwise.
We have enjoyed readings everyone's postings of late. Personally I haven't done too well at keeping up with things, but I will try and do better. I hope you are all doing well and that you each have a wonderful week!
4 comments:
Wow, it looks really nice Mom and Dad. I'm sorry Brent and I weren't there to help. We really would have come down last weekend. Oh well, maybe next week.
I will just post my notes here. Dad did all the hard work, I was just the gopher, hammer holder, board getter. Dad nailed for over 5 hours, plus did sawing, measuring and etc.
Wow, that looks like a LOT of work!
Love the fence. Too bad we weren't there to help. Maybe we can powerwash the old slats for you to make them a similar color.
Post a Comment