Sunday, August 3, 2008

This has been a pretty normal week. We continued to move furniture around the 2 bedrooms and have finally pretty much got things set. Mom now has a nice sized sewing room (Sarah's old room) that she will be able to spread out a bit. It will take her a while to get it organized like she wants.



We are accumulating various pictures and have had a debate about what to do with them, so I am making a 3' x 5' cork board to hang that will provide 15 square feet of picture posting space. I am making a frame for it out of rough cut western cedar which will give me some practice for some picture frames that Benjamin and I need to make. Over time I have seen a bunch of patterns/methods for making picture frames. Some seem pretty easy to make, some seem overly complicated. Anyway when I get it done, I will take a picture.



We are contemplating a trip in September that would have us loop around the west to visit non-Texas family domiciles. To do it all will mean that we can't land in any one spot for very much time, but it would be fun to see everyone. We will get it mapped out and request the days off and let you know as plans develop.



I put a new set of blades on the lawn mower this spring while I was replacing the rear wheels and drive rachets, and I have been so disappointed in how un-even it has seemed to cut. I even went to the effort once of cross-cutting the front lawn and it seemed to make little difference in how it looked. This week when I started a couple of rounds around the back yard I stopped and looked and it was just horrible. There will all kinds of scalp marks and stuff that made it look like I was picking it up and dropping it every few feet. I stopped and took a closer look at the mower and found that all four wheels were set at different heights. I guess they had been bumped around over time, and I hadn't paid any attention to it. I sort of laughed at myself and straightened it out, and guess what, it cut the lawn as smooth as an ice rink. Mom did the front whilst I trimmed and when we were done it looked like a putting green. I was asking a brother in our ward who has a teacher-aged son, if his son would be interested in earning money by doing some yard work. He said that the son hates yard work and that a sister in the ward this spring had offered him $100 to help her plant some flowers and he had told her no. Another teacher aged boy's father is an OBGYN and they spend the summer at a lake house. Another one I'm not too sure if I would trust, and the last one would probably cut something off his person and I would get sued. Anyway it seems kids are of a bit different mentality than when you kids were chasing lawns around every week.



I guess that is about all my rambling -- y'all have a good week

2 comments:

Diana Glade said...

That cork board thing sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to see it! We hope you guys can make it to AZ to visit! :)

Duke and Bear said...

Brent and I will come down and help do yard work for 100! Silly kids what are they thinking!?! Anyways we're excited to see y'all in September.