
Well I've got these pictures backwards, but here is the chair sitting on the rockers. If you look close you will see that the legs still need to be trimmed, but I wanted to see what it would look like. It really does rock!

Here are the two rockers pulled off the mold, trimmed, ripped and finish sanded.

Here are the rocker slats all glued and gooey clamped to the mold. I thought it would be a pretty easy process to clamp them down, but it took quite a bit of cranking on the clamps to get the strips all snugged down to the mold.

Here is another shot of the glue-up. The mold is made out of 5 pieces of 3/4" particle board. Once I got the arc cut on one piece and sanded just perfect, the other 4 pieces I just had to cut close and then trim them up with a flush trim bit in my router. The mold then gets covered with packing tape, so the glue from the laminations doesn't stick the whole thing together. We used an extended tack yellow glue so we would have time to work the clamps before everything started setting up. Mom came out and helped me with the sticky mess, and we had glue dripping out like crazy. Thanks to her expert technical help, it all came out pretty good. Not too much more to go now!
2 comments:
So the rockers are laminte-sp? - If I remember correctly all this started 10 years ago looking for a rocking chair when Nicole was at the Ramada house with Landon. That looks so nice
So whats the latest update on the rocker now?
Post a Comment