Sunday, October 10, 2010

I'm Still Here

Well it isn't an excuse, but things for me have been very busy/stressful for the last few weeks. We have been in Turnaround at work since labor day, and it is about killing me. We are supposed to be done this week, so maybe it will calm down. In addition to Turnaround I have hired a replacement for a lady that is retiring this December, and also trying to get my feet on the ground with the new organization. Right after the reunion Mom and I got a couple of hybrid bikes that we have been trying to ride a few times each week after work to burn a little stress off. It is now getting too dark too early, so I will have to move to the trainer. In addition we have tried to get progressively longer rides on Saturday morning. This last Saturday we did 25 miles, and I was a bit sore when we finished. I think of the rides we used to do way back then, and wonder if I will ever be able to do 50 again. Anyway we have had a lot of fun and it has been good to get back in the saddle.
It has been really fun to watch the fall season come on, especially fun to watch the harvest going on around us. They are harvesting soy beans right now -- they use a combine with a header like for grain. There are acres of corn still to come down -- they don't seem to be in too much of a hurry but that will be fun to watch too. One thing we have liked a lot is the apple orchards selling their apples and other wares. For some reason antique tractors are a big thing -- the state fair was just full of them, but at one orchard they had 3 antiques out and allowed kids to climb on them and take pictures.

We have chased fall colors all over and they haven't been too vibrant, but they are still pretty sort of earth tones. We have driven a couple of times to places where they were supposed to be really pretty only to find them sort brown and a bit dismal. Actually we have seen the most color close to home.


Another thing that seems to be different is they grow pumpkins by the acre. They are all over the place at the orchards and farms just stacked here and there. They do sell them but you can get pretty big ones for cheap.



This was just a quick pic that Mom snapped on the way to church this morning. The ground brush turns color too and actually has some of the best colors. I now know more about a Red Fern because they have these Ferns that are green all summer long, but go fire red in the fall. They are really pretty when they get mixed up with some of the yellow fall flowers.
I was called to be Asst. Ward Clerk (Finances) today, which I am very happy and excited about. When I got the call from the High Councelor to meet him this morning before meetings, I tossed and turned all night wondering about what the calling was to be. When he told me, I was so happy I about gave him a big hug. He probably thought I was a bit loopy by my reaction, but we have a ton of folks moving from the ward right now and there are some pretty heavy callings to be filled.
I look at the various pictures we now have around from the reunion and they always make me very happy. They offer me a bit of escape to think about all the fun we had when other things are stacking up a bit too deep. Thanks to each of you for making that a special time for Mom and I. It really means a lot to us that we were able to do it.
I don't know how well known it is, but Aunt Linda is having a George Melvin Glade Reunion at the ranch on July 4th. We are all invited. They will make as much room available in the houses which will probably to to Loertschers first, but tent space and the accomodations in Ammon will also be available. I don't know how it will fit your schedules -- I haven't been able to think that far ahead, but I wanted to make sure you were all aware.
TTFN Dad




1 comment:

Brandon said...

Have you heard or talked to anyone that is planning on going to the reunion. We probably can, but do you think you will try and come out for it?