

These are a couple of pictures that I received from Albert in Germany -- the man that toured Michael & Heather around a bit. These are taken in the town of Guerzenich, which I believe is the place or near the place that Grandpa Glade was wounded. Grandpa would say that soldiering was a dirty business and I always assumed that he meant nasty, unpleasent etc, which I'm sure applied, but it was also literally dirty -- crawling around in the mud and dirt and weather without the chance to get cleaned up or change clothes for days on end. These pictures depict the soldiers' main job -- going from house to house and city to city pushing the Germans back and making sure each structure was free of enemy forces, always being ready to be fired upon. And I think my job is stressful!
No comments:
Post a Comment