
With so much going on I haven't done much on the rocking chair, but it poured rain all weekend long here in Beaumont so I had a chance to cut a board. Above are the the back and front rails with the tenons cut on each end. I guess because I have never made anything with mortise and tenon joints it is fun for me. Don't want to bore you with the whole thing, but I thought a couple of pictures would be okay.

Above is the tenon and the mortise shown together. They fit together to create a joint as shown on the board on the left sticking up out of the leg. It is supposed to be one of the stronger joints that you can make and is used quite a bit for furniture making. Nowadays biscuits, dowels, and screws are being used more to make things quicker and cheaper.

This is how you set up the saw with a dado blade to cut the tenon -- you have to use a sacrificial fence both on the rip fence and the miter gauge to keep everything from tearing out and get all the depth stops set right.

I bought a resistance trainer and put the ol' Allez on it and have been riding it in the evenings and on the weekends. It has been fun (in a painful sort of way) to get back on and start riding. It doesn't hurt my knees like I thought it might, but the worst part is my butt and weak arms. I got an old man's gel saddle which helps. I had to get new shoes and gloves too. With the trainer I can ride any time of day with the fan on (artificial headwind), not be worried about traffic, and you don't wear out your brakes much. As I watch my minimal speed and puny distance click off on the cyclocomputer, it is hard to believe how far and how fast we used to ride back in the day as I now would struggle to even make the equivalent of the Eulitt loop. Anyway, it has still been good to do something aerobic. Mom and I are working hard on what we eat and exercising and are getting a few pounds to disappear. Mom likes to do all sorts of various exercise. She walks, Nordic Tracks, does the stair video, rolls on the ball and other video things. For me doing the bike isn't boring. I thought I might drag the bowflex out and work a bit on the top half. Another couple of weeks and it should be warm enough to set up the pool which I look forward to.
That's about the news from Beaumont -- y'all have a wonderful week
3 comments:
That's really cool Dad. Maybe when Brent and I come down y'all can go for a spin around the block together.
Heather thinks the title of your Blog, "Pappa's Spot" sounds a lot like pop a squat. I've told her she is crazy (my dad doesn't have a gross sense of humor), but she want to hear it from you if that was your intention or not. Gross!
I guess you aren't as gross as Heather thinks you are; I sure liked Pappa's Spot a lot better.
Post a Comment