
Mom thinks that I have a screw loose, (probably more than one, and she would know better than anyone else) but I have a fascination with the modern windmills. So when I went to Hi-Willow on our vacation, I stopped and shot a few pictures. Here are only two of many I took. They have installed quite a few of them there, and Tom said they are producing about 25% more electricity than planned. They aren't without some problems -- they have a crew that goes around to them regularly and picks up the dead birds so the environmentalists/PITA people don't cry about that. Then Tom was saying that they have lost a few blades, evidently from someone shooting at them. Go figure!! We saw quite a few parts being trucked on the road during our trip, and they are huge. They truck two blades at a time on an extra long trailer. The square box that sits on top of the column fills up a whole semi trailer by itself. The nose piece must be pretty heavy -- they truck two of them on one lowboy trailer. The columns seperate into about 3 pieces and they are huge. Anyway I think they are cool even if they aren't a viable alternative for generating power.
2 comments:
When we drove to California we drove by hundreds of those windmills. I know they are helping the environment, but they sure are ugly covering those beautiful hills!
We have tons of trucks hauling the windmill parts up and down Hwy 6. We get to see them in pieces all the time, but don't see many of them around here. I wonder where the plant that makes them is?
Post a Comment