Well happy 24th of July to everyone. This is a significant day for our family not just because the Pioneers entered the valley today, but because 32 years ago Mom and I had our very first date. As you all know we went to the Rodeo in Idaho falls with all the Loertscher clan and Grandma and Grandpa Glade. Grandma Glade sat right by mom just to make sure everything was kosher (JK ). We had hamburgers cooked by one of the wards that was manning the booth. They were very good. The rodeo was great -- back then, Michael, there were cowboys that could stay on their rides and rope and bulldog to your heart's content. A couple of the Loertscher kids went to the greeeezed pig chasing contest, but thankfully didn't catch one of the messy little squeelers. The best part was Mom held my hand on our first date woooooohooooooo. No kiss at the door however with 15 people in the 3+3 mud-covered truck all hanging out the windows cheering us on. I thought the first date went pretty well, until the next day, Sunday when I saw her again, and she pretended not to recognize me, and walked around holding hands with Brad Connell. I guess she either liked to hold hands, or had poor circulation and they were always cold. Anyway Brad took a vacation to Mexico and made a mistake at the border on the way back in by showing them his 30-06 deer rifle. He was put in jail down there for six months which luckily gave me enough time to move in and take control of the situation. And as they say, the rest is history. So y'all have a wonderful day and give a little prayer of thanksgiving for Rodeos, hamburgers, cold hands, deer rifles and Mexican border guards and of course Pioneers. If they all hadn't come together in a proper fashion, none of us would be where we are right now reading this blog. Happy Anniversary Mom xoxoxo
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Well happy 24th of July to everyone. This is a significant day for our family not just because the Pioneers entered the valley today, but because 32 years ago Mom and I had our very first date. As you all know we went to the Rodeo in Idaho falls with all the Loertscher clan and Grandma and Grandpa Glade. Grandma Glade sat right by mom just to make sure everything was kosher (JK ). We had hamburgers cooked by one of the wards that was manning the booth. They were very good. The rodeo was great -- back then, Michael, there were cowboys that could stay on their rides and rope and bulldog to your heart's content. A couple of the Loertscher kids went to the greeeezed pig chasing contest, but thankfully didn't catch one of the messy little squeelers. The best part was Mom held my hand on our first date woooooohooooooo. No kiss at the door however with 15 people in the 3+3 mud-covered truck all hanging out the windows cheering us on. I thought the first date went pretty well, until the next day, Sunday when I saw her again, and she pretended not to recognize me, and walked around holding hands with Brad Connell. I guess she either liked to hold hands, or had poor circulation and they were always cold. Anyway Brad took a vacation to Mexico and made a mistake at the border on the way back in by showing them his 30-06 deer rifle. He was put in jail down there for six months which luckily gave me enough time to move in and take control of the situation. And as they say, the rest is history. So y'all have a wonderful day and give a little prayer of thanksgiving for Rodeos, hamburgers, cold hands, deer rifles and Mexican border guards and of course Pioneers. If they all hadn't come together in a proper fashion, none of us would be where we are right now reading this blog. Happy Anniversary Mom xoxoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is a really great story! I think I'd heard the rodeo part before, but not the part about the riffles. :)
Well, maybe because he had to spice it up to make it a little more juicy. I didn't hold hands with Brad and never did, he was just another one of my little brothers, we were next door neighbors and he was a good friend.
Dad walked me 1/4 the way home from church, until we split and he went his way and I went to G&G house. He didn't go to Mexico until after his mission and dad and I were married, but dad's story is better reading.
"I didn't hold hands with Brad and never did????? How are we supposed to believe that coming from a cousin kisser?
I was about to put up here that it was an amazing story. Dad forgot the part where you put your hand on his knee too. jk
Post a Comment