Sunday, September 7, 2008

The demise of an old friend

I have carried my Spyderco knife for so long that I have worn the rubber grips off of it, but it has still been very functional and a knife that I really, really liked. Yesterday I was working in the shed trying to fix a vent cap on an hurricane gas can, and I was prying the cap with my knife a bit, not on the tip, but way down in the middle of the blade. Well you guessed it, there was a snap and a pop and about a third of the blade broke off. I was sick about it -- so never never never pry with a knife unless you want to go knife shopping.
Once we got Gustov out of the way, things here have been pretty normal. Mom got two days off besides labor day, so she enjoyed the break. I was back at work on Tuesday and we were restarting the plant. During testimony meeting today we didn't have a single hurricane testimony. I was quite surprised. Now we are praying Ike doesn't take a shot at us -- it is too early to call -- it looks like the models have it going in from Florida all the way to Mexico. Probably by Thursday this week we will have an idea what our chances are.
With the potential hurricane and the end of the hot season about here, I started draining the easy set pool today and hope to have it put away by mid week. It is sad to see it shrinking down as I have really enjoyed it, but truthfully the past few weeks, it has received less attention and been harder to keep up with all the storms, so I think the time is right.
Mom is giving her fireside to the youth right now on the law of chastity. She has been nervous about it all week long. She is well prepared and will do a good job and as you know there won't be any beating around the bush.
That is about it for our news. Happy Birthday to Sarah Today!! Have a good week! ;o)

1 comment:

Brandon said...

Sorry to hear about the knife - it's funny how you can become attached to those sort of things. Good luck finding a replacement for an old sidekick